“Stand aside for a while and leave room for learning, observe carefully what children do, and then, if you have understood well, perhaps teaching will be different from before.” – Loris Malaguzzi
About the role
At Compass ELC you will work as an Educator alongside some of the most passionate, caring and dedicated educators in the industry. You will spend your time engaging, connecting and learning alongside children, families, and co-educators.
For all of our School Age Positions, you must be able to work either/or before and after school. In order to be eligible for these positions, you must be available for our before school program which typically runs from 7-9 am and our after school program which runs from 3-6 pm
As the School Age On-Call Educator, you will be expected to balance your time between a number of different School Age locations. You will be guaranteed 25-30 hours a week working both before and after school (7-9 a.m. – 3-6 p.m.)
Some accountabilities associated with being a School-Age Educator
- Being able to balance your schedule between all the school-age programs in the region you will be working in.
- Planning and implementing play-based experiences based on children’s interests.
- Observing and documenting children’s learning.
- Building relationships with families and including them in the learning process.
- Working as part of a team with fellow educators, families, and children.
- Welcoming all new staff, supplies, volunteers, and families into the program.
- Ensuring the safety of staff and children by learning and acknowledging all children’s diverse needs, backgrounds, and creating equitable opportunities for all children to engage.
- Making sure that the environments are safe, clean, and welcoming.
- Building and maintaining relationships with staff, volunteers and students, community partners, and school staff, including principals, custodians, and teaching teams in shared spaces.
- Demonstrating respect for our shared spaces in schools by ensuring the safety and cleanliness of all equipment, furniture, and materials
You are passionate about early learning and care, emergent curriculum and life-long learning. You are energetic, resourceful and creative in your pursuits of creating learning opportunities, building connections and engaging with children and families. You are registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators and possess the training and documents required by the Ministry of Education to work in a child care setting.
You are able to work a split shift day consisting of before and after school shifts. In order to be eligible for these positions, you must be available for one or both of the before/after school programs either our before school programs which typically run from 7-9 a.m. with the exception of a few who run 6:30-9 a.m. Or our after school programs run typically from 3-6 p.m.
On-Call Educator Rates per Hour
- Educators registered with the College of Early Childhood Educator’s or Equivalent have a starting rate of $18.65
- The starting rate for non-RECE is $17.65
- Premiums of up to $3.50 will be applied to eligible positions
- Eligible Split shift/school-age shifts will be provided with a $.75 increase (not including summer camp, March break or PA day shifts)
- Eligible On-Call positions will be provided with a $.75 increase (not including summer camp, March Break or PA day shifts)
- Eligible positions will be provided with a $2 wage enhancement.